Monday, May 4, 2009

Just Breathe

Never let your guard down. Not even for one minute. Because when you do, that's when they change things up on you.

And don't let this sweet face deceive you. Behind the innocent exterior is a little imp who has scared me more times in his short two years of life than my other two children combined. Today, we can add breath holding to the list.

Breath holding, you ask? Yes, I was only vaguely familiar myself, but after it was all over and my hands had stopped shaking long enough to type, I sought solace in that fount of all internet knowledge, Google, to determine if I had just caused irreparable harm to my toddler. May my story spare someone a few premature gray hairs. This is what happened.

In the course of disciplining Davis for turning the light on during naptime and creating a general ruckus, Davis held his breath so long that he turned cyanotic (blue) and passed out. It was terrifying and felt like it lasted minutes instead of only seconds. He did one of those suck-all-the oxygen-out-of-the-room pre-cries and while I waited for the loud bellow that invariably follows, he just kept holding and holding and holding his breath. His lips and face began to change color, and in growing alarm I started to panic. "Breath, Davis, breath!" I said breathlessly myself, lying him down on the floor. When a few seconds passed and he still wasn't breathing, I tried to stand him up and he was completely limp. Addison, peering over my shoulder was become frightened himself, "What's wrong with him?" he asked. Finally, he inhaled, and bellowed he did.

Turns out such an incident is not unheard of in toddlers, some 20% engage in it, and apparently peaks during the twos. It's completely benign behavior, besides scaring the bejeezus out of the parent, and is reflexive not voluntary. Whew. Pardon me while I go peel myself up off the floor.

7 comments:

Rebekah Louise said...

My sister use to do this...to try and get her own way!

Mindy McCracken said...

My nephew did this several months ago (shortly before he turned two) and was rushed to the ER by his frantic parents. If it's any consolation, he hasn't repeated the act.
The next time he empties his lungs in one of those pre-cries, try blowing in his face. Hopefully this won't happen again - especially for your sake!

babyyahyah said...

wow thats scary. i'm sorry. my kids are handfuls as well.. being a mom to toddlers is a very tough job. you're doing great though. hang in there momma

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

Oh my goodness, sorry he gave you such a scare!!! Lexie is notorious for that. She holds her breath for so long, pre-scream, that her lips start to turn blue. She hasn't passed out yet, though!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

Oh-you don't have to post this, but I just wanted to let you know that I gave you a blog award. I love your blog!
http://dylanandalexandria.blogspot.com/2009/05/bloggy-awards.html

thegranitecity.wordpress.com said...

Oh my goodness. That is crazy. I had never heard of that before. Never a dull moment in the Holloway house, huh?

Amie Vaughan said...

i had a friend who used to do that, as well... but on purpose. her daddy would give her whatever she wanted when she did it.

i'm glad you all got through it! and i hope it never happens again! =)