Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 2 Winner and Factoids

Day 2's winner is Heather! Congratulations. I have known Heather since I was a very little girl, and although decades have intervened, it is amazing to me how the internet and my blog, in particular, has enabled me to reconnect with dear people from the past. Heather, I hope you're reading this. I would love to get together with you and your wee ones and deliver these books in person. I'm sure all the kids would have a blast, and I would truly appreciate catching up on all the years in between.

Heather is going to give her book to a neighbor friend whose daughter is quite ill and in and out of the hospital. She has been witnessing to this family for a while and hopes that this book would bring them to a fuller understanding of our great Savior.

Now for today's contest. This is more on the silly side. Put on your investigative hats. You don't need to be a long-time reader to participate, just an adept user of the search bar tool at the top of the page. Find me the most obscure factoid about Aberdeen from within my blog. You must quote what I said directly. Specify the name of the post and the date, so all you readers who live in Aberdeen right now don't have an advantage over everyone else. The entry I like the most will win. No randomness about it this time. To help provide some focus for new readers, we lived in Aberdeen from August 28, 2006 to August 26, 2008 (it just hit me how funny those dates are). However, be aware that I have routinely blogged about Aberdeen even since moving home. You might find the most interesting tid bit post our time there. Happy hunting!

5 comments:

heather said...

Oh Becky! I just read this and it made me cry! I was already thinking that if I didn't win, I should buy this book for Allison anyway! Thank you ever so much! YAY!!! :) I will email you my info.

linda said...

How great that you won these and can share the wealth! I noticed you were near my stomping ground lately. I hope you enjoyed your time.

Allison Aernie said...

I thought this was was really fascinating: In 2003, the PETA animal rights group held a protest outside the school to try and persuade children to stop drinking milk. Over 100 pupils held a counter protest pelting the activists with milk and chanting their own pro-milk slogans. Police had to be called to save the PETA group including one man dressed as a cow.

Only in Scotland...

Allison Aernie said...

I forgot to say that my factoid was from "Aberdeen Grammar School" posted on 2/2/2007.

thegranitecity.wordpress.com said...

June 4th 2007 -- Streaking on Orchard Road

"Evidently, Scotland has a streaking problem. I can honestly say that in the 25 years I lived in the US, I never once encountered a streaker while in the 9 months that we have lived here we've seen two. Last night I was quietly knitting in the living room when, all of a sudden, as Trey entered the room he exclaimed, "Oh my goodness! That guy's streaking!" I looked up just in time to see the fellow's bare back, and then he was gone. It stopped the bowlers momentarily, who sauntered over to get a better look. End of term excitement, perhaps? Not sure how else to explain the lunacy of running around nude on a chilly northeast Scottish evening."

I don't know if this is the kind of factoid that you were thinking about, but this made me laugh out loud to think of someone running naked down Orchard Road. I especially liked the part you wrote about the bowlers stopping to get a better look. :)

Reading all of your older posts has really made me miss you. (And if you want to remove that so people won't think I am trying to sway the judge, that is fine. :) I wish I had lived closer to you when we were here so we could have hung out a little bit more often. Since I've moved, I've been down to the Orchard Road house about twice a week now for the past two years. I think that is your legacy--obtaining the Orchard Road house and heading up the content of the AWF website.

Lily would also like to thank you for leaving the sand box. We've had many hours of fun playing with that this summer in your former back garden.