Monday, February 22, 2010

Five Years Ago Today

Five years ago today you made me a mother. It occurred to me that since this blog is 3 1/2 years old, and my dear, sweet Addison's birth pre-dates its existence I've never properly written about his entrance into this world.

I will never forget that day as long as I live. I had waited for it for 24 years, including 40 weeks and 5 very long days. There were moments where I never thought he'd come out. As my ankles swelled to elephant proportions, my finger girth required wearing my rings around my neck, and every movement involved pain and lumbering. I didn't know what to expect with delivery and, like most first-time moms, was filled with a certain amount of fear. I remember Trey driving me to the hospital the day of my scheduled induction. My blood pressure was creeping uncomfortably high, and they didn't want to take anymore chances. After all, you were fashionably late, like your daddy always is. On that drive, I remember big, fat, silent tears rolling down my cheeks as I stood on the threshold of this tremendous life change. Even more than the day I got married, I had this overwhelming sense that there was no going back, and I had no idea how I'd hold up to the task at hand.

The induction was fairly routine. Pitocin. Break the water. Painful contractions. Epidural. Relief. FoodTV. Conversations with my mom and sister and Trey. I progressed slowly, but so it often is with the first delivery. Somewhere mid-afternoon my epidural wore off and they gave me a top-up. Comfort again and more FoodTV. Then around dinnertime it got a little hairy.

The epidural began to wear off just as I was entering transition, and for reasons which I still do not understand today I was told I could have no more of that lovely epidural. I labored through transition without pain relief, and then pushed for two hours to get my 8 lb., 9 oz. butterball whose head is still in the 95th percentile into the daylight. Well, not exactly daylight because he was born at 10:51pm. No wonder Davis and Evie slipped out so easily.

I have never been so exhausted or elated in all my life. I remember them lifting this wriggling little person up into my arms. He was damp and warm and so alive. I remember how he smelled and the excited cries he made. And it was instant love.

Addision is the kind of child you don't forget easily. He has a passionate personality that takes in all of life with great gusto. He has high highs and low lows, which he is learning to manage. He is gentle and sweet and feels the responsibility of being the oldest. I can see it already. His mind is sharp and his memory scarily accurate.

His zest and enthusiasm for life are infectious. He wakes every day believing the world is his for discovery. He loves people and talks to everyone we meet. He is happiest when he is with "his people" and is always checking in with me about the ones he loves. He especially has a soft spot for pretty women.

Nothing beats those baby blues. From the time he was born he has had these enormous, almond-shaped, blue saucers fringed with the longest lashes I've ever seen. In fact, I remember the nurses at the hospital remarking that they'd never seen an infant with such lashes. When he sleeps, they rest on his cheeks.

I can hardly believe he is five. This fall he will go to school. Where do the years fly? Wasn't it just a few months ago that he was learning to walk, eat real food, talk, and count? I am especially proud of the way he knows his Bible stories and really understands that Jesus came to die for him. He has told me many times that he believes in Jesus and loves him. What more could a parent ask for?

Yesterday we celebrated his birthday with the family and soon I'll post all the party pictures, but in the meantime let me leave you with these two treasures. The picture above shows one of the presents he received from Nana and Papa, a framed print of the picture of his red-tailed hawk, which you can see here. His face says it all. He was very pleased.

video

This video shows us all singing "Happy Birthday" and Davis's attempt to steal his brother's thunder which was intercepted by a watchful mama. Happy birthday, Addison!

2 comments:

Kate E. said...

Happy birthday Addison!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

Happy 5th Birthday, Addison!
He looks so grown up, Becky. Wow!