Friday, November 5, 2010

Baked Haddock

In honor of Guy Fawkes Night (enjoy my original post from our first experience with the celebration back in '06) or Bonfire Night, I am doing a first on this blog -- posting a recipe. A couple of months ago I discovered that our Aldi carries frozen bags of haddock filets $3.99/lb. Can't beat that price. We were first introduced to haddock in Aberdeen with its multifarious chippers on nearly every corner wafting the fragrant and intoxicating smell of frying fish and chips, and fell quickly and permanently in love with the delicious fish. I have not had it since living there, and in an effort to avoid the less healthy, more messy deep-frying option, I went in search of a baked haddock recipe. Voila! Allrecipes.com to the rescue, another great discovery from our time in Aberdeen. And so my Guy Fawkes gift to all of you is this scrumptious, incredibly easy, and more nutritious version of fried haddock. Trust me. All three of my kids devour it, especially the wee girl.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs (my tip: or use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and omit the thyme)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (my tip: if you use freshly grated, it makes a marvelous crust)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground dried thyme
  • 4 haddock fillets (my tip: there's really enough coating here for up to 2 lbs. of fish)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted (my tip: don't omit as it helps make the coating deliciously crisp)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
  2. In a small bowl, combine the milk and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and thyme. Dip the haddock fillets in the milk, then press into the crumb mixture to coat. Place haddock fillets in a glass baking dish, and drizzle with melted butter.
  3. Bake on the top rack of the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes.

No comments: