Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Occupy Philly


My old office is right across the street from City Hall where Occupy Philly is camped out. My new office is two blocks away and I happened to walk by on Monday and snapped this photo. Click on the picture to enlarge and read the signs.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about all this. The reporting I have seen and the signs I've read, seem to indicate a panoply of discontent from lack of jobs to corporate greed. Some of these issues I'm very sympathetic with, but I also know that capitalism is neither the devil nor the answer. Capitalism, like everything else, can be very good or very bad. If I know anything about human nature, it's that people are radically selfish, and so when you apply that to large corporations it often means that a handful of people make decisions out of enlightened self-interest, negatively impacting others. Think Enron, think Arthur Anderson, think BP, think Haliburton, think Fannie Mae. But however imperfect, this is the world we live in. Corporations are not going away. Capitalism is not going away. Shouldn't these protesters be pouring their efforts into making sure Washington does its job to protect the little guy from the unbridled greed and corruption of corporations? Or better yet, why not infiltrate? I'm by no means at the top of the food chain in corporate America, but some day maybe I will be. Some day my decisions may directly impact corporate policy. Not to be all Gandhi, but I can be the change I want to see in the world. I guarantee that is more effective than bumming it night after night with signs on a Philly street. Your thoughts?

No comments: