Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 13 - Let's Get Real


I know I've missed a few days, but life has been a little too hectic and I've been a little confused in my feelings on the Whole30 this week. Ready yourselves, folks, because it's about to get real in here. I am sure this is all part of the normal process, but if you can't handle cold, hard honesty, don't read.

Some days I love the Whole30. Others I'm not so sure. Some days I think I could eat this way for the rest of my life. Others I want to drink a bottle of wine and down a bag of Spicy Nacho Doritos. Some days I think this all makes sense and that's why I'm losing weight consistently when I couldn't for several years. Other days I think it's all hocus-pocus made up by a bunch of kill-joy, granola (without the grains) weirdos who want to spread dictatorial-eating habits across the globe. Some days I have incredibly even energy and experience the normal wake-to-sleepy cycles you are supposed to feel with evenly regulated hormones. Other days I drag all day long, feel cranky, and have no energy to workout.

You get the picture.

I have also been struggling with some digestive issues, which started about Day 3 or 4 of the Whole30 and are still persisting. I won't regale you with the details here, but from my reading on the Whole30 message boards, this is fairly normal for a dramatic shift from a low-fat to a high-fat diet. This has been a bit of a bummer for me. Perhaps my expectations were too high, too fast -- something I've been known to do in the past. I need to be patient with this process and give my body time to adjust and heal from decades of bad habits, but given my super-type-A personality, I want it all to change now and not involve a process. Yeah, that's not how the world works. So for me, part of this journey is resetting my expectations.

On the positive side, I have continued to see steady weight loss, which was a major reason for doing this cleanse. I am now quite convinced that my high-carb, low-fat diet was sabotaging my efforts to get back to my normal weight, and it was contributing to a poor relationship with "food with no brakes". Never heard that phrase? It's from the book It Starts with Food and it really doesn't require a whole lot of explanation. Food with no brakes are foods that you can easily consume in massive quantities which provide no nutritional benefit and actually can cause serious long-term health problems. Think a bag of chips or a box of cookies.

In terms of new recipes over the past few days, we've been reprising a few of the ones we really liked from last week. I did make a Creamy Chicken Tomato Crockpot Soup on Tuesday, but I didn't love it (Trey did, however). I used diced tomatoes that were too salty and I felt there wasn't enough broth in the soup. It also did NOT make the 6 servings it was promising. Maybe I did something wrong. I don't know.

Tonight I'm planning to cook a steak with some sweet potatoes as a side. I think I will put it in the same marinade that was used for the Ginger Lime Shrimp.

No comments: