Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 16 - Blood Orange Beef Stew


I didn't want to leave you hanging too long without a new post, so this will be in the form of a weekly wrap-up since Trey and I are now starting week 3. Can you believe it?

The Good

  • I have lost 8.5 pounds!
  • My hunger is gone, especially that pesky after dinner hunger for junk.
  • I am sleeping deeply at night and feel pretty well rested in the morning. I think my cortisol levels must be coming back into a normal range.
  • My energy levels are evening out. I'm not experiencing the highs and lows that come with a sugar-adapted metabolism.
  • I think I'm happier and more patient with the kids. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I'm keeping an eye on this one.


The Bad

  • I had a lot of headaches this week. Not sure why. Possibly linked to not drinking enough water. When I'm at my desk at work, I drink water regularly, but at home I'm not so good at this and this week I was off work a lot.
  • Most of the week I had tummy troubles which I think were connected to the switch from a low-fat to a high-fat diet. The past couple of days have been much better, so here's to hoping those issues are in the past.
  • I want a glass of wine...a lot...a lot more than I thought I would.
  • The smell of pizza still makes me go a little crazy in the head. Talk about a Pavlovian response. Clearly I have pizza issues.
  • Grass fed beef has a strong odor.
  • I cannot find truly pastured eggs anywhere. Not even at Whole Foods. The compromise was buying Certified Humane eggs.
I want to leave you with my new favorite recipe: Blood Orange Beef Stew with Butternut Squash. I made it Sunday to last us for the next couple of days. It didn't make as much as I had hoped, but, boy, was it scrumptious. Word of warning -- it is labor intensive. Definitely a meal to make when you have an afternoon free. If, like me, you don't have a dutch oven, just use a stainless steel stockpot, put foil over the top, poke 8-10 holes in in, and then recover with the stockpot lid. The beef became so tender it just melted in your mouth. To make the recipe completely compliant just omit the flour.

No comments: