Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 19 - Crockpot TexMex Carnitas


Alright, so I'm a little hesitant to say this just yet, but I think the worst is behind me. To be frank, I feel really good! In fact this morning, despite the fact that I am battling a nasty cold, I woke up on my own 10 minutes before the alarm was supposed to go off, feeling rested and ready to get up. My stomach issues seem to have resolved themselves, and I have not had a headache since Monday when I started coming down with this cold, which has now gone into my throat and chest. My energy has been consistent throughout the day -- not super woman levels yet probably due to the cold, but I am not hungry or weak between meals. I have no after dinner cravings, and I'm sleeping deeply and well.

I have to share with you Trey's and my new favorite recipe. I was craving me some Mexican food. I love nothing more than ooey-gooey, slathered enchiladas with guacamole and chips and a few stiff margaritas. Unfortunately, nothing in that menu -- except for guacamole -- is compliant right now. But I did discovere this gem at LifeasaPlate.com -- Crockpot TexMex Carnitas -- and it completely satisfied my Mex craving. I did have to make a few adjustments to keep it completely Whole30 compliant. I didn't add any barbecue sauce or honey/agave nectar. Good news is it didn't need it. Truly, as the pork butt cooked down it produced the most flavorful sauce you can imagine and needed no extra kick or sweetness. The meat shredded easily when it was done cooking, and Trey ate his carnitas on lettuce wraps. I enjoyed mine on a plate topped with some diced avocado. Super delicious! This meal is so easy. It took me about 5 minutes the night before to dump everything into the crockpot, and I just turned it on when I left for work in the morning. Nothing better than coming home to the smell of pulled pork. I made this a couple of days ago and we got two dinners out of it with a lunch left over. Best part, even my pickiest two eaters were willing to try it and thought it was yummy!

No comments: