Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 9 - Tired


This is a picture of sweet Davis when he was just a few days old. It seemed appropriate since his 6th birthday just passed this Saturday, but also because what he's doing in the photo is what I wish I could have done all day today. I just didn't have the same high energy level early like I have for the past few days although it did improve as the day progressed.


Here's Davis opening presents on his birthday. Such a big kid now. More on the birthday in another post.

But back to being tired. Today I didn't feel great again, which was discouraging because I thought I was over the yuckies. Part of it, I think, was the fact that I worked out yesterday afternoon, which I really hadn't done much of this past week, following the recommendation of the program. And it was an intense, hour-long sweat-fest kind of workout. I don't think my body has adapted enough yet to handle that kind of workout on this new regimen.

Trey and I are reading It Starts with Food together, the book that sets out all the science behind the Whole30. We just finished the chapter on how our food impacts our hormones, and I suspect that I am the poster child for what the book is talking about. From my difficulty losing weight to my after-dinner munchies, I suspect I am leptin resistant and have elevated cortisol levels. I am eager to see how this will change over the remaining 3 weeks. And since my hormones are still out of whack, I think anything at this point -- like a super human workout -- can tip the precarious new balance.


Breakfast - 2 eggs over easy on a bed of sauteed spinach and garlic with a side of pumpkin souffle
Lunch - 1/2 a banana Lara bar, 1/2 an apple Lara bar, 1/2 a banana, taco-less salad with a chicken thigh
Dinner - Coconut crusted chicken with a side of pumpkin souffle

Trey and I have been testing out different Lara bar flavors -- the reason I only ate half of each. I have a business trip coming up before the end of this Whole30, so I'm trying to find things that are packable and will help me stay compliant on the road. So far I'm loving the Lara bars. The banana and apple ones are probably my favorite so far.

And now the coconut chicken. Wow, it was so good. The coconut provides lovely sweetness and crunch, and the chicken was moist and delicious. I ended up cooking whole breasts instead of pounding the meat out, which meant I cooked them longer, but they were perfect. Highly recommend!

2 comments:

Allison Redd said...

I've been loving the Lara bars, too! My trainer recommends them, but says to always eat them with a protein.

Publix here actually had a sale on them last week 10 for $10, so I got a bunch of different flavors. So far, I like the blueberry and apple the best -- and the brownie one is good if you are craving something sweet. Kind of a chocolate fruit nut flavor.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed said...

I love the coconut cream Lara Bar, have you had that one yet?

Hope you start feeling great soon! Keep it up, you can do it!