I'm glad to be this side of starting the Whole30 rather than where I was one week ago. I thought I'd randomly go through a few observations from the week as a way to recap.
- I lost 5.2 pounds this week!
- The carb flu is over.
- I wake up feeling ready to start the day.
- My energy levels during the day are starting to even out, feeling more consistent.
- I feel satisfied between meals much longer than before.
- I found some things at Whole Foods that I'd been looking for and couldn't get anywhere else, including Lara Bars, sulfite free balsamic vinegar, and compliant salsa.
- I learned that Trey is in love with chocolate chili and this week so I made a double batch yesterday -- same amount of work, twice the number of meals.
- My will power is strong. It is possible to take the kids to Chick-fil-A for Davis's birthday without eating a single waffle fry or nugget.
- The grocery bill is still high (nearly double). However, we're not eating out or buying booze, so I have a feeling that it's evening out anyway. Haven't done the math on that one, but it's a hunch.
- The planning still feels like a lot of work, especially making sure we have enough protein for the week. We went through 5 dozen eggs last week! I'm hoping a did a more thorough job this week given what I've learned so far.
- Yesterday I went to 5 grocery stores to get the things we needed. Some of it was just exploration, such as seeing what I could get at my local Indian/Asian grocer and discovering new things at Whole Foods. Even so, I felt like I was grocery shopping all day long.
- Sodium metabisulfite is an additive to flaked coconut, so I couldn't buy it at my local Indian/Asian grocer. However, Whole Foods does have it additive free.
Overall it was an eye-opening and encouraging week. Yesterday's meals were a re-hash of things we'd already done this week so I won't be listing everything out, but look for new recipes in the coming days.