Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 24 - Staying Compliant while Traveling


So the three week weight loss total is 10 pounds! I know! I'm excited and energized to finish this thing strong. Even though I've been battling a yucky chest cold, my energy levels have been strong, and I've felt surprisingly good for being so congested and gross. I can only attribute that to my new way of eating.

I clearly had a certain level of anxiety about remaining compliant on the Whole30 while I was traveling because last night I dreamt that I kept "accidentally" trying different foods, like chocolate pudding. I'm in Tampa for three days at a conference for work, and this morning to kick things off I ordered a custom omelet with mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions, and, instead of the standard side of hashbrowns and some toast, I asked them to substitute fresh fruit. Unfortunately, since I don't have anywhere to keep coconut milk cold, I have to drink my coffee completely black, but I did give it a try last week and it wasn't as horrible as I imagined it would be. My tastebuds have really changed.

I have several delicious recipes to share with you over the next few days, but let's start with what Trey and I had for dinner last night. I made a "Meat Crust Quiche", which is such an unappetizing name for such a tasty meal. I think "Crustless Sweet Potato Fritata" or "Paleo Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake" would be more apt. To me a quiche always includes cheese, and, of course, cheese is not permitted on the Whole30. This concoction uses breakfast sausage as the "crust". I took ground turkey and seasoned it to taste like breakfast sausage since I have yet to find actually compliant sausage of any kind. Then you sauté garlic, onions, sweet potatoes, and spinach. Mix in the eggs and some seasoning and bake it. Very scrumptious. We had it for dinner, but it would make an excellent breakfast option.

No comments: