Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Day 32 - Kale Chips and Salmon Cakes


So I'm now going to admit something really embarrassing as a 32 year-old woman. I don't think I've ever had kale -- until Sunday. I'd heard tons of folks rave about kale chips -- how much they taste like potato chips and how easy they are to make -- so I had to give it a try. Plus, I'm on a quest to move the kids over to a Paleo diet too (more on that in a later post). I thought this might be a clever way to trick their taste buds into eating something green that they wouldn't otherwise touch with a ten-foot pole.

Verdict? Kale chips really are delicious, and if you're able to get them completely crispy (a few of mine were still a little too flexible to qualify as a "chip"), they do actually taste like potato chips. How is that possible? I'm not sure, but I'm not joking when I tell you that they taste like that snack food. I mixed mine with a splash of olive oil and generous sprinklings of salt, pepper, and onion powder. So tasty, and, yes, I was able to get the kids to try them. I could see the conflict on their face. They liked the taste but were completely weirded out by the dissonance of something tasting good while being green. Addison ate the most. The other two ate one chip and were done. I will keep offering them though.


On Monday I made the most delicious Paleo Salmon Cakes. The recipe calls for canned salmon, which I got at Trader Joe's (no salt added). I doubled the recipe, so we could have leftovers for lunches later. This was a smashing success. The salmon cakes were so flavorful and fried up perfectly golden brown in the coconut oil. Definitely going to be added to the regular rotation.

1 comment:

Kelly @ a girl worth saving said...

Rebecca, I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe. It's one of my favorites since it is so simple and quick. I still need to make kale chips!