Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 44 - Food Dreams


Nothing screams "I've had a dysfunctional relationship with food for much of my life" like guilt-ridden food dreams. I've had a few during this Whole60. It's a particularly common experience in the beginning. In fact, It Starts with Food warns its readers to expect such dreams in the first week or two. I had some the first week, and then I had another very vivid one while I was in Tampa on business at the beginning of March. In the dream I literally spit out the offending food (I think it was chocolate pudding) because I had begun eating it inadvertently. Clearly, the idea of being duped into non-compliance was on my mind during this business trip.

Sunday night's dream was the worst yet. I dreamed that after first spitting out non-compliant food which I had accidentally begun to ingest, I became so discouraged with having "broken" the program that I just decided to give up and eat a tray of cinnamon buns. I don't really know where this dream came from although I suspect it's linked to the time I spent on Pinterest right before bed browsing for paleo recipes. Boy is there a lot of paleo junk food out there!

Regardless, I know I have a little bit of anxiety about taking off the training wheels of our Whole60 and returning to a less strict diet. Trey and I have decided that regardless of our reintroduction results for gluten and dairy and legumes, we would like to continue with a largely paleo diet. However, I do wonder if I'll ever eat Doritos or a cheesesteak again. What will wine taste like and how will I react to my first Reese's peanut butter cup? Should I have one? Will it cascade me back into bad eating habits? These are certainly uncharted waters.

No comments: